Monday, August 9, 2010

BECAUSE I believe with my wholeheartmindbody that girls constitute a revolutionary soul force that can, and will change the world for real

First of all: go to Radical Cross Stitch and read what I meant to write about the cross stitch in the last post, but didn't have the energy or words for then.

Second: some time back I got an e-mail from a German publisher, asking if they could use one of my cross stitches for a book they where putting together. Last week the book finally arrived in my mail and it looks like this:


It's a compilation of feminist texts, from Sojuorner Truth, the riot grrrl manifesto, Emma Goldman, Audre Lorde, Judith Butler and a lot of other writers/groups that actually say something to me about my life. So if you speak German and you're into reading classic feminist critique, go to Orange Press, send them an e-mail and ask if you can buy the book, wait for it to arrive at your home and then flip to page 97 where this cross stitch illustrates the chapter on Valerie Solanas.

"Radikales Handarbeiten": Über Tätigkeiten, die lange Zeit als "weiblich" galten, werden subversive Botschaften in vertrautem Stil präsentiert - hier der erste Satz des SCUM-Manifests.

I have no idea what it means, but I'm hoping it's something good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm rusty but I think it says something like, "Radical Cross Stitch:" for a long time considered a female's activity, here we see subversive messages presented in a familiar style. Here is the first sentence from the SCUM Manifesto.

johanna said...

Oh thank you! I'd guessed that the first two words meant something like that, it's nice to get te rest of it too.

 
'